Skip to Main Content

Return to Noticeboard Stories

Home Owners Support Fund

Home Owners Support Fund

If you are an owner occupier and at risk of having your home repossessed, the Home Owners' Support Fund may be able to help you.

Run by the Scottish Government, it's made up of two schemes:

  • Mortgage to Shared Equity
  • Mortgage to Rent

These schemes help home owners who find it difficult to pay their mortgage – or loans secured against their property – to stay in their homes. 

Click on the link to the Scottish Governments website where you can get further information on how the scheme works :


The Mortgage to Shared Equity scheme

The Scottish Government buys a stake in your property – up to 30% – so you can reduce your secured loan(s). You'll still own and have responsibility for maintaining and insuring your home.


The Mortgage to Rent scheme

 Mortgage to Rent allows a social landlord – like a housing association such as Ferguslie Park Housing Association or local council – to buy your home. You'll continue to live there as a tenant. 

To find out if you're eligible for the Home Owners' Support Fund and to apply, you must visit an approved money adviser. 

Only your money adviser can you tell whether you're able to apply for the Mortgage to Shared Equity and Mortgage to Rent Schemes.

You may be eligible for the Mortgage to Rent scheme if all of these apply to you:

  • your bank or mortgage lender won't agree to lower mortgage payments
  • you've paid less than your agreed mortgage amount for at least 3 months
  • you're behind by at least the same amount as one monthly payment of your mortgage
  • you can't get help through UK Government support schemes, or you might still lose your home even if you do get support

None of these apply if you have a trustee who forces the sale of your home.