Skip to Main Content

Return to Noticeboard Stories

Government Advice Issued for Tenants & Landlords Regarding Rent & Arrears During COVID19

Rent  & Arrears Guidance 

Key Points: 

  • "Tenants should continue to pay rent and abide by all other terms of their tenancy agreement to the best of their ability. The government has a strong package of financial support available to tenants, and where they can pay the rent as normal, they should do. Tenants who are unable to do so should speak to their landlord at the earliest opportunity."
  • "In many if not most cases, the COVID-19 outbreak will not affect tenants’ ability to pay rent. If your ability to pay will be affected, it’s important to have an early conversation with your landlord. Rent levels agreed in your tenancy agreement remain legally due and you should discuss with your landlord if you are in difficulty". 
  • "An early conversation between landlord and tenant can help both parties to agree a plan if tenants are struggling to pay their rent. This can include reaching a temporary agreement not to seek possession action for a period of time and instead accept a lower level of rent, or agree a plan to pay off arrears at a later date."
  • "If a landlord and tenant agree a plan to pay off arrears at a later date, it is important they both stick to this plan, and that tenants talk to their landlord immediately if they are unable to do so."
  • "If you fall into financial difficulties due to a change in your employment or earnings, for example, you may qualify for Universal Credit. Property Guardian licence agreements are a valid tenancy arrangement for receiving housing costs support in Universal Credit. Find more information about Universal Credit at"

Following the Government guidance, you should continue to pay your rent as you usually would. If you are experiancing financial difficulty please contact your Housing Services Officer as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances. Our Welfare Service Service is also available to tenants who may require a benefits check or advice in applying for Universal Credit. 

To contact your Housing Services Officer please call 0141 887 4053 then select option 2. 

To contact our Welfare Rights Service please call 0141 887 4053 then select option 3.